THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  

STAY SKY AWARE

What are you reading ?

Go down 
+6
Carlszone
kuhchoo
GFyre
Heckagirl631
Tiz
nquale
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nquale

nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

What are you reading ? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I started the new Anne Rice book about morphenkinds, which is a man/wolf. The name of the book is The Wolves of Midwinter. It's the 2nd book in a 2 book series, the first book The Wolf Gift is about a man(Reuben) who is bitten by morphenkind and turns into a wolf who whenever he's angry or afraid and when he turns into a wolf he kills anybody that he senses is evil and saves children/adults from those who are evil. As a killer he's hunted by the police but praised by those who are the victims of the evil.

In the first book he meets up with others of his kind and finds that they have a society with rules of who and where he can kill. hmmmm he can't kill in his own community anymore because it makes people suspicious of what's out there that's eating people Rolling Eyes 
who would of thunk that lol! 

Basically the first book was interesting, learning about what morphenkinds are, their society and how a man who doesn't believe in killing learns to deal with his new thirst for killing. On the otherhand this 2nd book so far seems to be bringing out the wimpy side of Reuben who doesn't mind killing, isn't afraid of the new morphenkinds that come into his life but he's scared to death of a female ghost that he lusted after before she died and before he became a morphenkind. It's not like she does anything scarier then enters a room he's in and stares at him.

I don't know but there's something about a wolf that cries alot that I'm having a problem dealing with, so this book which would of normally taken 3 days to read has taken a week to read the first 100 pages out of 300 some pages. I'm going persevere and continue reading with hopes that wimpy wolfman out grows his wimpy-nest and becomes the kind of wolfman that I can respect Smile 

Has anybody else read any of Anne Rice's books ? I loved her witch/ghost books along with most of her vampire books but her life of Jesus books just didn't do it for me, so I thought with The Wolf Gift it was the beginning of redeeming herself but with this 2nd book of the series I'm not so sure about that.
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm almost done with Cornelius Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far". Field Marshall Montgomery's ill fated attempt to end the war before 1945.
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Tiz it sounds like you're a reader of non fiction which is the opposite of me. I only read fiction because I like getting lost in a story which is hard to do with non fiction or atleast it is for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Heckagirl631

Heckagirl631

Female
Number of posts : 7843
Registration date : 2013-10-17

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:35 pm

I have read a couple of Anne Rice books. I read The Vampire Lestat many years ago.

My sister often recommends books to me. I just started a trilogy recently. But I guess the author likes writing the books, and she added another trilogy. And also a stand-alone book. So the author is Juliet Marillier. The first book is Daughter of the Forest. It's based on the fairy tale of the brothers who got turned into swans and their sister saves them. It's very interesting. The second one I am currently reading is The Son of the Shadows. It continues with the children. I have all of the books so I am sure I will read them all.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male
Number of posts : 6970
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Congratulations on getting your Book Forum up and running. thumbsup

"Build It and They will post!lol! 

GF 
Back to top Go down
kuhchoo

kuhchoo

Male
Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Once again, third or fourth try, I am trying to read
William Faulkner's "The Sound And The Fury".  For
me, this is a very hard book to read.  I am subscribing
to Easton Press's Leather Bound 100 Greatest Books
and am trying to read them all with dubious success.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Carlszone

Male
Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Gary

Faulkner is a bit hard to digest. Like F. Scott Fitgerald's stream of conciousness, his sentences tend to run on quite a bit. The Guiness book of world records gives Faulkner the dubious distinction of writing the longest sentence on record in his novel Absalom, Absalom. Fitzgerald has to be a close 2nd place winner w/This Side Of Paradise.

With Faulkner the vernacular of the slaves and country folks adds to the flavor of his novels but plays havoc on the reader's ability to get w/the flow of his writing.

But their great story telling makes it worthwhile.

Hang in there...

Carl
Back to top Go down
Qwinntz

Qwinntz

Number of posts : 1211

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 am

I'm currently reading a nonfiction book called " More Ketchup Than Salsa By
Joe Cawley; I like books where ppl drop everything( sell off all their belongings) and go Adventuring (living) in unfamiliar territory.

Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

nquale wrote:
Tiz it sounds like you're a reader of non fiction which is the opposite of me. I only read fiction because I like getting lost in a story which is hard to do with non fiction or atleast it is for me Smile
Yes, I'm a huge military history(non fiction) buff.study 
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I am reading the Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children Series.I have read Clan of the Cave Bear and am on Valley of the horses now.
Ayla is a blonde haired blue eyed child seperated from her family due to an earthquake in the begining and taken in by a different clan but she grows and learns to care for herself and live off the land,meets others,etc. It has a hint of history of the dawn of mankind mixed in along the way.
I am also trying to read a gift from my Dad called Catholic for dummies,lol.

Suzy

What are you reading ? 000ani10
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5530
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Saw most of the clan movie years ago .

nquale

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Suzy I read the Jean Auel's earth children series as each book came out and really enjoyed all of them except the last book which took her 8 years to write.The Land of Painted Caves is over 800 pages which was about 400 pages tooooooo long. The story was interesting but she wrote way too many details about painted caves that she must of visited or did extreme research on. After reading the details of the first 2 caves she really didn't have to write in details about the other caves because they more or less were the same--I basically skimmed over those parts of the book.
Back to top Go down
Heckagirl631

Heckagirl631

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 1:21 pm

I have also read all of the Jean Auel's earth children series books. Enjoyed them. I use to read everything Stephen King and Dean Koontz put out, but I have gotten behind. I've read about the first five of the Diana Gabaldon's Outlander's series. I read and own all of the Harry Potter books and of course, the movies, too. Really enjoyed them. I've also read several of the Michael Crichton books. And some of John Grisham's. I read quite a bit. I nearly always have a book going.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 pm

I am wondering.........

Do you all read books or do you use a kindle or nook or other reader.
My Dad showed me his new nook and I like how crisp and white the pages are,I think I would read more with one and might buy one for myself for christmas.A couple years ago my sister said her husband gave her a nook for xmas and I truly pictured a nice little corner with a great chair and lamp,lol!
What do ya'll suggest?

Suzy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Suzy I use a Nook and love it but you should know before buying one that Barnes and Noble is going out of the Nook business but I don't know when that's happening. Of coarse that means some great prices on Nooks coming up.

The battery in a Nook and a Kindle can't be replaced so there is a life span for how many times you can recharge it but so far I haven't read how long that life span is. I've had mine for almost a year now and the battery is still working great but then I recharge only about once a week and that's with reading for a few hours every day.

If my battery dies I will be replacing it either with another Nook or a Kindle if Nook is no longer available because I can't imagine going back to the small print or weight of a book.
Back to top Go down
kuhchoo

kuhchoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I've been tempted to try a Kindle but I don't
think anything can replace books for me.  I've
loved books for as long as I can remember.  
It's not just the content that I love but the
book itself, especially leather bound.
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Gary I said the same till I got my first ereader which was an off brand ereader and the recharging cord on that died after 1 year. After that happen I knew I needed another ereader so I bought the nook.

I do occasionally read a paper book but after being able to enlarge text to the size I want I know I can't go back to paper books for good. There's also the fact that I found some websites that post newly released books without drm in them makes it worth having an ereader. I still buy books by authors I know and like but I'm now reading books that I would never have considered buying and finding a bunch of new authors that I like.
Back to top Go down
Heckagirl631

Heckagirl631

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 6:33 pm

I don't have an e-reader and have never tried one. So far, just books for me.
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I started reading around 6 years old, which began a lifelong love affair with books. Growing up, when I wanted to get away from everybody, you could often find me reading in a tree.  

I also thought I only wanted to read real physical books until I moved and had to pack and carry hundreds of them in cartons.  That's when I knew I needed to let go of physical books - except for reference books and my very favorites.  I hate to admit this, but parting with all those books was a wrenching experience for me - like I was loosing a kidney or something I could live without, but didn't want to.

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite in February this year and fell in love with it almost instantly.  It is backlit, so you can read in the dark.  And, as Nancy mentioned, I can enlarge the print size.   I can download books in a nano-second, can even download samples of 3 or 4 chapters to determine whether or not any particular book is something I want to continue reading.  

There are tons of FREE ebooks available, so that cuts out trips to the library and bookstores.  I'm also spending way less on book purchases and know that a lot of trees have not been cut down to feed my reading addiction.  Best of all, my library of books is stored in the cloud so no more heavy cartons of books to deal with should I move again.

This won't work for a guy, but one more perk for me is the ability to easily fit my Kindle in a purse.  I have one male friend that carries his Kindle in a pants pocket.

I've always been horribly impatient waiting for mechanics working on my car or waiting to see a doctor.  Not any more.  I'm oblivious to time when I can read on my Kindle.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
kuhchoo

kuhchoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:01 pm

It sounds like I should at least try a Kindle.
Nothing says I can't use a Kindle and read
my books, too.
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5530
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 pm

kuhchoo wrote:
It sounds like I should at least try a Kindle.
Nothing says I can't use a Kindle and read
my books, too.

Library Has E readers to try I'll bet .

kuhchoo

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Good idea, Henry.  Try it there first and if
I like it I can buy one.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Great idea Henry.I think I will ask Santa for one also.Then I can read in bed!

Thank you to everyone.

Suzy
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 10:38 pm

If your library doesn't have e-readers (mine doesn't), Best Buy has both Kindles and Nooks on display.  The Kindle Paperwhite is the only model I know of that is backlit so you can read in the dark. It sells for $119.

If you don't need a backlit model, the basic Kindle at $69 is every bit as good.  In other words, you pay $50 more for the backlit feature. Makes a nice Christmas present.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 am

The Nook Glowlight also has the backlight that you can turn on when you need it. I see that both Wal-mart and Target will have that one on sale Black friday for $79.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading ?   What are you reading ? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next