THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
Bye bye April.

I need a little pc help

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-01

I need a little pc help Empty
PostSubject: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 pm

I have chrome,windows live mail and outlook on my laptop and I am wondering if that's why it is starting up so slow.

Could that be? Do I need all 3?

confused Suzy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Chrome is a browser that works better then IE does and it doesn't load on startup so no need to get rid of that.

Outlook is an online email account that again has nothing to do with startup, it loads only when you click onto it once you go online.

Windows Live mail is an email client which is on your computer, it's the program that downloads your email to your pc.

I'm assuming you set up your email account to be popped to Windows Live, if not then you don't have an email account associated with Windows Live so it's not doing anything on startup.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't delete that even if you wanted to because it's part of your operating system. If Windows Live mail is setup to check for new email on startup then yup that can slow down startup. You can open Windows Live mail and see if you can find something in it's settings or preference that says something about checking for email on startup and uncheck it.

If you know how to download and install programs the download the FREE version of ccleaner which you'll find here-
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/
be very careful when downloading and installing that you read every little bit of fine print because it will probably try to install unwanted items like Toolbars so you want to make sure you uncheck anything like that and make sure you download ccleaner and not something else that's being advertised on cnet--if you're using an adblocker then you won't have a problem downloading the correct software.

After installing it, open it and click onto Tools in the left index and then click onto Startup and write down everything listed under the Windows tab and post it here and I'll tell you what I know for sure that you can take off from your laptops startup.

There's alot of programs that when installed on your pc automatically add them selves to your startup and they don't need to be on startup such as Adobe Reader, Realplayer and Quicktime to name a few things.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:20 pm

WOW! Thank you so very much!

I will get the cleaner tomorrow as I'm to tired tonight . I never have had an add blocker. I went from webtv to msntv2 and then got this toshiba satellite laptop and just went to using it not ever thinking it would end up starting up so slow or sometimes never. I have also been seeing blue screens saying mem dump and another thing I can't remember.

Suzy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Suzy a memory dump doesn't sound good and it has nothing to do with what all is on your startup.

Before downloading ccleaner do a complete scan of your pc with whatever antivirus protection you use---it sounds like you might actually have a virus causing problems.

If you are using Chrome for your browser then open it and click onto a New tab where you should see the Chromestore and type in Adblock Plus in it's search box and you should see Adblock plus listed under Extensions, add it to your browser and then go to download.cnet to download ccleaner.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I have Microsoft security essentials and ran the microsoft malicious software tool and spybot. But tom I will run a full scan and then look into the cccleaner.
Thanks again!
Suzy
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5520
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

She did not tell us which windows she has .

Live mail can be unchecked in xp . and all mail gone through some may be deletable .

Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Ok I couldn't copy the list so I typed it and added what my pc is.Wow it seems like a lot of files!

Suzy
----------------------------
My pc is a toshiba satellite, MS Windows Vista home basic 32 bit sp2
Intel celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, 15.4 display,160GB HDD ,Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family
on embarq dsl wireless

-----------------
analysis complete
3,652mb to be removed

Files to be deleted
------------------
Internet explorer temp files 2,005,178KB 31,157 files
Internet explorer history 16,272KB 13 files
Internet explorer cookies 6,591KB 9,264 files
Internet explorer Index.dat files 608KB 2 files
Windows explorer thumbnail cache 38,976KB 6 files
System Empty recycle bin 3,921KB 17 files
System temp files 1,131,780KB 180 files
System memory dumps 260,943KB 3 files
System Windows log files 200,998KB 155 files
Google chrome internet cache 55,956KB 458 files
Google chrome internet history 14,941kb 7 files
Google chrome cookies 127kb 150 files
Google chrome session 465kb 2 files
Applications adobe acrobat 9.0 9kb 1 file
Applications McAfee Antivirus 50 kb 12 files
Applications MS Office picture manager 382 kb 4 files
Applications office 2007 9kb 15 files
multimedia adobe flash player 269kb 1,552 files
multimedia macromedia shockwave 10 22kb 1 file
multimedia macromedia shockwave 11 114kb 1 file
multimedia microsoft silverlight 8kb 50 files
multimedia quicktime player 1,556kb 8 files
multimedia windows media player 1kb 1 file
utilities spybot search and destroy 180kb 34 files
utilities windows defender 548kb 2 files
windows ms search 128kb 1 file
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm

LOL that's alot of junk files to be deleted !! and yes having that many junk files on your pc will slow down certain functions but shouldn't really slow down your startup time.
You should run ccleaner once a week from now on but only run the Cleaner and DON'T run the Registry scanner.

But now open ccleaner again and click onto the TOOLS icon in the left index, then click onto STARTUP in the index that's to the right of the left index and write down what files are listed under ONLY the Windows tab. The Windows Startup files are the only ones that effect your laptops startup time.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Yes HKCU:Run Akamai NetSession Interface Akamai Technologies, Inc. "C:\Users\Suzy\AppData\Local\Akamai\netsession_win.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run DW6 "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\DesktopWeather.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run InstallMon noOrg C:\Users\Suzy\AppData\Roaming\fbx.exe
Yes HKCU:Run swg Google Inc. "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run TOSCDSPD TOSCDSPD.EXE
Yes HKCU:RunOnce Application Restart #3 Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe  --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --restore-last-session -- https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1302066032&rver=6.1.6206.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fbl154w.blu154.mail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fwa%3Dwsignin1.0&lc=1033&id=64855&mkt=en-us&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1
Yes HKLM:Run 00TCrdMain TOSHIBA Corporation %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\TCrdMain.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run cfFncEnabler.exe cfFncEnabler.exe
Yes HKLM:Run EmbarqVALite_McciTrayApp Alcatel-Lucent "C:\Program Files\EmbarqVALite\EMBARQHelpHelper.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Google Desktop Search Google "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
Yes HKLM:Run HSON TOSHIBA Corporation %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\TBS\HSON.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IAAnotif Intel Corporation C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run MSC Microsoft Corporation "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
Yes HKLM:Run NDSTray.exe NDSTray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Persistence Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVCpl Realtek Semiconductor RtHDVCpl.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Skytel Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Skytel.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SmoothView TOSHIBA Corporation %ProgramFiles%\Toshiba\SmoothView\SmoothView.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Sun Microsystems, Inc. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run SynTPEnh Synaptics, Inc. C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
Yes HKLM:Run ToshibaServiceStation TOSHIBA Corporation "C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\TSS.exe" /hide
Yes HKLM:Run TPwrMain TOSHIBA Corporation %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TPwrMain.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender Microsoft Corporation %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
Yes Startup User OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

The above is the list.By the way defender won't even work anymore.

Suzy
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 pm

I see lots of Internet Explorer files - from Live Mail?

I see a trace of McAfee av. Get rid of it. http://mcafee-removal-tool.com/
I use Chrome with AdBlocker plus MSE AV. Microsoft Essentials doesn't slow my startup at all.

*I* would run the Registry in Ccleaner just to see if any bits of McAfee are there. You can select to just delete those items.
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:43 pm

http://domania.us/FramerT/misc.4/screenshot.jpg001.jpg

Last edited by Tiz on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tismike

tismike

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 pm

I run CCleaner all the time and that includes registry scan and clean. Have been doing so since first computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and now with second computer Windows 7. Never any problem or difficulty with CCleaner. Have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Automatically run "Quick Clean every Sunday. Do "Full Clean" every so often. As related in a previous post, having all programs on automatic start will impact start up times.

Take care,
Mike
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Just_Suzy wrote:

Yes HKCU:Run DW6 "C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\DesktopWeather.exe"

Yes HKCU:Run swg Google Inc. "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"

Yes HKCU:RunOnce Application Restart #3 Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe  --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --restore-last-session -- https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1302066032&rver=6.1.6206.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fbl154w.blu154.mail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fwa%3Dwsignin1.0&lc=1033&id=64855&mkt=en-us&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1

Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

Yes HKLM:Run Google Desktop Search Google "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup

Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

The above is the list.By the way defender won't even work anymore.

Suzy
First Windows Defender no longer works because you're using MSE for your antivirus and Windows Defender is included in that so Disable the Windows Defender listing. To disable an item left click onto it and click the Disable button on the right side. It won't remove it from the startup but it will disable it from running on startup.

Now do you really need the weather notifier because everytime you startup your laptop it goes online and searches for your weather listing which can really slow down startup. If you don't need it then disable-

Is there a reason for having the Google toolbar if not disable that-

Now you have this listed that shows that your laptop is trying to reload an online session with Chrome--that's definitely will slow down startup and do you even know which session it's trying to reload ? disable it-

Yes HKCU:RunOnce Application Restart #3 Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --restore-last-session -- https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1302066032&rver=6.1.6206.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fbl154w.blu154.mail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fwa%3Dwsignin1.0&lc=1033&id=64855&mkt=en-us&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1

Adobe Arm isn't needed on startup, disable it-

Is there a reason you need to do a search from your desktop when you can just open your browser and do the search ? if there's no real reason then disable it because again it's slowing down startup-

Quicktime is never needed on startup, it will automatically load a song when you click on one without being on startup-

Those so far are the ones I know that are definitely safe to remove and are slowing down your startup, I'll have to google the rest to know if they're needed or not but I don't have time to do that tonight.

Why don't you before you disable any of these restart your laptop and time how long it takes and then disable these and restart again and time the new startup so you'll know if it makes a cdifference--it should !
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:13 pm

tismike wrote:
I run CCleaner all the time and that includes registry scan and clean. Have been doing so since first computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and now with second computer Windows 7. Never any problem or difficulty with CCleaner.
Mike
Mike I also use the registry cleaner all of the time but if you've never used it then she's
going to have thousands of registry files to delete and it's never a good idea to delete
that many at a time.

Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Just_Suzy wrote:
Ok I couldn't copy the list so I typed it and added what my pc is.Wow it seems like a lot of files!

Suzy
----------------------------
My pc is a toshiba satellite, MS Windows Vista home basic 32 bit sp2
Intel celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, 15.4 display,160GB HDD ,Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family
on embarq dsl wireless

-----------------
analysis complete
3,652mb to be removed

Files to be deleted
------------------
Internet explorer temp files 2,005,178KB 31,157 files
Internet explorer history 16,272KB 13 files
Internet explorer cookies 6,591KB 9,264 files
Internet explorer Index.dat files 608KB 2 files
Windows explorer thumbnail cache 38,976KB 6 files
System Empty recycle bin 3,921KB 17 files
System temp files 1,131,780KB 180 files
System memory dumps 260,943KB 3 files
System Windows log files 200,998KB 155 files
Google chrome internet cache 55,956KB 458 files
Google chrome internet history 14,941kb 7 files
Google chrome cookies 127kb 150 files
Google chrome session 465kb 2 files
Applications adobe acrobat 9.0 9kb 1 file
Applications McAfee Antivirus 50 kb 12 files
Applications MS Office picture manager 382 kb 4 files
Applications office 2007 9kb 15 files
multimedia adobe flash player 269kb 1,552 files
multimedia macromedia shockwave 10 22kb 1 file
multimedia macromedia shockwave 11 114kb 1 file
multimedia microsoft silverlight 8kb 50 files
multimedia quicktime player 1,556kb 8 files
multimedia windows media player 1kb 1 file
utilities spybot search and destroy 180kb 34 files
utilities windows defender 548kb 2 files
windows ms search 128kb 1 file
PS. if you didn't delete these files after running the cleaner then run it again and after doing the
analyse then click the Run Cleaner button to delete all of them.
Back to top Go down
tismike

tismike

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Never had a problem deleting registry files. But whatever the quantity deleted parameters might be that would have an negative affect, honestly do not have a clue. Nor have not seen it addressed before you post. I attempt to stay clear of giving definitive suggestions of what one should do, but express what has worked for me and the operating system(s) I have had and have. As you are are aware, the suggestions on this thread are just the tip of the ice berg of the many viables that can cause a system to start slowing down. I would however suggest that one have back up for any OS. Be it computer, smart phone etc.

Take care,
Mike:)   
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5520
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Whoa Screen blow out !

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 pm

tismike wrote:
Never had a problem deleting registry files.

As you are are aware, the suggestions on this thread are just the tip of the ice berg of the many viables that can cause a system to start slowing down. I would however suggest that one have back up for any OS. Be it computer, smart phone etc.

Take care,
Mike:)   
Mike I've also have never had a problem but had one friend who had her laptop for 3 years before I put ccleaner on it and when it came up with thousands of registry files I decided it would probably be best to stay on the safe side and only check one item on the registry list at a time and scan that item and save a backup file before deleting them. I did that over a few days so that if there was a problem I could just merge those items back onto her pc.

The fact that Suzie had a memory dump says that there's probably another problem but gotta start some where so getting rid of unmanned files and cleaning up her startup files is a start.

If she decides she can do without the google weather/toolbar/desktop search then we can help her remove those items completely from her laptop, then see how it runs and if she gets anymore memory dumps.
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 5:27 pm

I see a lot of things that Chrome's built in "Clear Browsing Data" under Tools could delete safely.
Temp files, cache, history, etc.

*I* don't see the need for both Windows Live and OutLook email.
Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Ok I got it done and it is starting up much faster!!!! WooHOO!
I appreciate everyones help.I have a HUGE list on the registry cleaner but all are the same.
missing shared dll
unused file extension
activeX/COM issue
application paths issue
obsolete software key
invalid firewall rule
missing MUI reference

Can I run it to?
So with this and essentials and if I add addblocker I should be ready to enjoy getting online more.
Is it still good to also run spybot every week?
Suzy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Just_Suzy wrote:
Ok I got it done and it is starting up much faster!!!! WooHOO!
I appreciate everyones help.I have a HUGE list on the registry cleaner but all are the same.
missing shared dll
unused file extension
activeX/COM issue
application paths issue
obsolete software key
invalid firewall rule
missing MUI reference

Can I run it to?
So with this and essentials and if I add addblocker I should be ready to enjoy getting online more.
Is it still good to also run spybot every week?
Suzy
Suzy that's great that it's starting better Smile
You can run the registry cleaner but uncheck everything except these items that you can get rid of-

unused file extension
activeX/COM issue
type libraries
fonts
help files
installers
obsolete software key
run at startup
start menu ordering
MUI cache
sound events

Scan for the above issues and then click the Fix Selected Issues button which will bring up a popup asking you if you want to save a Backup file of those items, say yes to that and then click the Fix All Issues button.

The items that I left off the above list are the ones that "might" cause a problem if you delete them--I'm just playing it safe by having you not delete those other items at this time.

Instead of running Spybot weekly install the Adblocker Plus and then download Malwarebytes FREE
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
and carefully read each installation window as you install it so that you don't inadvertently install a toolbar or worst fall for there "Would you like the Pro version of malwarebytes" which isn't free. Anyway install that and run once a week. It's the program that pc repair guys run to get rid of all those hard to remove malware/spyware/adware.

Back to top Go down
Just_Suzy
Admin
Just_Suzy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Ok,
Thank you so much! Everything seems to be working better now.
Suzy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need a little pc help   I need a little pc help Empty

Back to top Go down

I need a little pc help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE COMMUNITY :: PC COMMUNITY-
Jump to: