THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
SPRING will COME

Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carlszone

Carlszone

Male
Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) Empty
PostSubject: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:52 am

(Thanks to GFyre of The Community)

Ars Technica: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)

According to journalist Brian Krebs, the breach hit customers in-store, not online.

By Cyrus Farivar - Dec 18 2013, 7:48pm EST

UPDATE Thursday 5:34am CT: In a statement posted to its website early Thursday morning, Target acknowledged that "approximately 40 million credit and debit card accounts may have been impacted between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013," adding that the company is "partnering with a leading third-party forensics firm to conduct a thorough investigation of the incident."

Original story follows:

According to the Wall Street Journal and independent journalist Brian Krebs, retail giant Target was hit with a major theft of customers’ credit-card and debit-card data captured in stores during the Black Friday weekend.

The company has nearly 1,800 stores in the United States and over 100 in Canada.

"The Secret Service is investigating—we have no further comment as it is an ongoing investigation," Brian Leary, a Secret Service spokesperson, told Ars.

Researchers: 20,000 cards compromised in active campaign hitting US merchants.
Ars has contacted Visa and MasterCard, as well as credit agencies Experian and Equifax, but received no immediate reply.

Sherfoon Kassimlakha, a Target spokesperson, told Ars that she had no comment concerning the allegations but said that someone else from the company would follow up.

Krebs, citing two unnamed sources, reported that “the breach was initially thought to have extended from just after Thanksgiving 2013 to Dec. 6. But over the past few days, investigators have unearthed evidence that the breach extended at least an additional week—possibly as far as Dec. 15. According to sources, the breach affected an unknown number of Target customers who shopped at the company’s main street stores during that timeframe.

This isn't the first potentially massive credit card breach in recent memory. Millions of cards were compromised last year in a breach at Global Payments, a data processor. And as we reported previously, in 2004 CardSystems Solutions was hacked and exposed data for as many as 40 million cards, making it one of the biggest credit card data breaches at the time. With that hack, the processor came under blistering criticism for taking months to detect and report the intrusion and storing customer data in unencrypted formats.
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Carlszone

Male

Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 10:12 am

This reminds me of the many discussions I've had w/folks in the early years of on-line banking. People think that just because they don't bank on-line they are safe. So they go through all sorts of hoops to avoid modern banking conveniences. Only to find that all their info ends up on-line anyway.

When a Federal employee lost a suitcase w/thousands of veteran's acct info I was sitting at home minding my own business. I as well as millions of veterans got the warning of the security breach.

Swiftness of detection and early warning are the keys to stemming the damage after a major compromise of credit card info. Was this done in this case???

We'll see...

Thanks, GFyre

Carl
Back to top Go down
Carlszone

Carlszone

Male

PostSubject: Re: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 10:41 am

New York Times: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

December 19, 2013
By NICOLE PERLROTH
The New York Times

SAN FRANCISCO — Target confirmed Thursday morning that it was investigating a security breach involving stolen credit card and debit card information for 40 million of its retail customers.

In a statement, Target said that criminals gained access to its customer information on Nov. 27 — the day before Thanksgiving and just ahead of one of the busiest shopping days of the year — and maintained access through Dec. 15.

“As of December 15, we identified an unauthorized access and were able to resolve the issue,” Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, said in an email.

A security blogger, Brian Krebs, first reported the breach on Wednesday.

Target said that cybercriminals had accessed customer names, credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates and three-digit security codes for 40 million customers who had shopped at its stores. The company noted that online customers were not affected by the breach, which appears to have been isolated to the point-of-sale systems in Target’s retail stores.

Immediately after discovering the breach, Target said, it alerted federal authorities and financial institutions, and is currently working with a third party forensics firm to conduct a thorough investigation.

Brian Leary, a spokesman for the Secret Service, which investigates financial fraud, said the agency was investigating.

Target advised its store customers to scan their credit and debit accounts for unauthorized transactions and check their credit reports.

“We take this matter very seriously and are working with law enforcement to bring those responsible to justice,” Gregg W. Steinhafel, Target’s chairman and chief executive, said in a statement.

Point-of-sale systems have become a major target for cybercriminals in recent years. By breaching point-of-sale systems, cybercriminals can gain access to the so-called “track data” on credit and debit cards that can be sold, in bulk, on the black market and used to create counterfeit cards.

A similar breach affected Barnes & Noble stores last year. Last year, criminals also breached Global Payment Systems, one of the biggest card transactions processors. The biggest known security compromise to date was an attack at Heartland Payment Systems, another credit card processor, in 2009. Criminals used malware to break into the company’s internal network and steal data for 130 million cards.

In such cases, security experts say a company insider could have inserted malware into a company machine, or persuaded an unsuspecting employee to click on a malicious link that downloaded software that gives cybercriminals a foothold into a company’s systems.

Elizabeth A. Harris contributed reporting.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male
Number of posts : 6909
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 12:55 pm

I don't believe the reason ppl don't bank online has to do with hacking but trusting their machines to be safe at the starting gate.

I don't bank online just for that reason, even though I do use a credit card now.. I won't however open my bank to PayPal even though I have an acct with them , too.  

I feel there is less chance for someone to drain my bank acct ( not that I'm rolling in millions  but I'm on a limited budget. . every cent counts! Smile ), if I don't give them the extra key to the portal . . you know what I mean , Vern?

My Credit Union ( the only place I've banked for the last 30+ years . . GoNavy !  cheers  . . .has caught fraudulent use of my Debit Card several times , right here online.  They cheerfully offered me a credit card for safety, normally I'd turn them down, but this time I took it.  Oy Vey!  Laughing 

NFCU knows my spending habits, and I'm less likely to make a super large purchase ( rent takes a majority of my monthly finances) using Paypal and/or credit cards; though I must say some of  the purchases they caught were tickets to Nigeria, and $100 dollars worth of Comic books from Amazon!  Shocked 

I best close this out before I lose it. .  Wink , click the wrong button  Laughing 

alien
Back to top Go down
David F

David F

Male
Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:43 pm

It doesn't really bother me to bank online. I have been doing it for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)   Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated) Empty

Back to top Go down

Secret Service investigating massive credit card breach at Target (Updated)
Page 1 of 1