THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  
Bye bye April.

FREE eBook Finds

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GFyre

GFyre

Male
Number of posts : 6959
Registration date : 2008-11-11

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:12 pm

a) http://manybooks.net

b) http://www.smashwords.com [ a third-party eBook seller that has eBooks in the Kindle format]

c) http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

d) http://www.feedbooks.com/original

e) http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/ Free_Kindle_Books

f) http://amzn.to/freefireapp [ Free kindle books and tips blog that comes to your KF or Android based device wirelessly ]

g) http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 am

Here's a website where you can find free books by popular authors.

Oops it looks like I'm not allow to post a link for 7 days so come back in 7 days to see where you can download free popular authors books Smile

just type in the author you're looking for in the search box, then on the search result page you'll see a list of book titles. Before downloading one pay attention to the language it's written in and whether it's in the format needed for your ereader and then click onto the #1 to download the book. The mirror sites, #2-#10 will normally take you to a website where you have to jump through loops to get the download and the download is normally in zip form which is why you should download from the #1 link.

Download to your desktop and then you'll need to plug your ereader into your pc, open up it's folders and find where the books are stored on your ereader and then drag the book from your desktop into the ereader's folder.

It sounds complicated but it's pretty easy.

Also you can read these books on your pc by downloading either Calibre, Nook for pc's or Kindle for pc's. Calibre is a microsoft ereader and it reads both Kindle format books(mobi) and Nook formated books(epub).
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 pm

:bwahaha: There was one forum I just recently joined that really put a person through the hoops just to post; after posting using CaptCha 10 times then one can post normally., however if one wants to post a link one has to post 5 times before doing so.  Yes? cyclops   

GF
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:15 pm

GF this forum stated I couldn't post a link till I was a member for 7 days.

Henry gave me your email addy and I sent you the link to post.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 am

Still learning my way around here, so please bare with me.  Thanks!

Here's the link that nquale wanted to post :

http://www.libgen.org/

Thanks , nquale, much appreciate it.

GF
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-10-21

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 4:43 am

GFyre wrote:
Still learning my way around here, so please bare with me.  Thanks!
Ha! Ha!  Bare with you?  You want us to get nude together? bounce 

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks GF for posting the link for me. I've found losts of good books at that website.
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:22 am

I currently own the Kindle Paperwhite, but don't have wireless connections, so I bought it in the 3G format.  However, due to eyesight issues, I don't use the Kindle as much as I would like to.  

Instead, I have been checking out CD audiobooks from the library and listening to them on a Sony Walkman. The selection is limited and worse - about half of the audiobooks I check out have damaged discs, resulting in garbled speech, skipping and total blackouts.  The worse case scenario is encountering an inaudible disc partway through the book.   Once, it was the very last disc that was damaged.  UGH

My next project is to get hooked up to wireless, then buy a Kindle Fire so that I can listen to e-audiobooks.  Has anyone ever used a KF or other reader for that purpose and if so, how do you like the sound and/or ease of use?   The local library has a limited selection of e-audiobooks and hopefully, damage is not an issue.  I will also be looking for other sites that offer freebies.

Thanks for any info regarding e-audiobooks.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Sandy aren't you able to enlarge the text big enough to read on your Kindle ?
I don't know of anybody with a KF 4G so can't help with that but I can give you a website where you can get audiobooks from. This website is where I get free ebooks on the day that they are released in stores but I've never paid attention to whether the audiobooks are also current releases though I did see a book by John Sandford that was just released last week in the audiobook category.

As long as I can't post urls here yet I'm going try posting the link with the period written out-
mobilism dot org

Scroll down to the ebook category, click onto that and then scroll down and click onto Ebooks by Category and on that page click onto the audiobooks forum.

A word of caution, you are downloading the books from file share websites and those are loaded with ads that you might mistakenly click onto to download the book so don't try downloading a book unless you're using an adblocker.

On the file share download page you also have to be careful that you click onto the FREE download or else you'll be ask to pay for a fast download. Pay attention to whether it states you need to wait so many seconds before trying to download and after waiting and clicking the download button more often then not you'll need to type in a captcha word before the download begins. Lastly make sure that you're downloading a mp3 file and not an exe file which could be a virus. I download from there weekly and have only gotten one virus warning from my antivirus from this website but lately I've notice that some of the file share websites try to get you to download a download manager file which is an exe file--don't download that because it's hard to tell what it is for sure.

LOL you do need to jump through hoops at that site to download books but it's the only site that I know of where I can get free newly released books.
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Nancy, I can and do enlarge the text on my Kindle Paperwhite.  I use the second from the largest size.  But, my eyes don't see the same.  I've had 2 surgeries this year on the right eye, from which it is slowly recovering.  When it does recover, I will still need cataracts removed from the left eye.  To make a long story short, after about an hour of reading on the Kindle, things get blurry, I feel the strain and have to put it down - or take a nap.

With 3G, I cannot download anything.  Amazon sends ebooks to my Kindle, however that works.  So, I plan to get a wireless connection and then a Kindle Fire for audiobooks.  Then I can download free books that interest me and not be stuck with the few low priced ones at Amazon.  In general, Amazon's Kindle prices are outrageous - often cost more than the same book in paperback and even hardback editions.  I don't understand that because they don't have to cut down any trees to create an electronic book.

I was able to access the mobilism site and it looks great!  I have printed out your instructions and all of the sites that GFyre posted to use after I have wireless connections installed.  I have 4 John Sandford books on hold at the library.  Silken Prey was released in May.  Does he have a newer one?

It would be nice to have a Book Club Topic, in which we could discuss and recommend books we are reading.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Sandy John Sandford's latest book is Storm Front and you'll find it in mp3 format at mobilism. His writing has gone downhill for about the last 10 books so I've skipped quite a few of them or rather started reading a few of them and then gave up to go read a book that was actually interesting.

Did you read Silken Prey yet ? if not I won't say anything about it till you have. I got Storm Front last week but may not read it because a friend said she had to force herself to read it after she got half way into it, said the writing and story was pretty bad.

I can understand not being able to read with one eye with a cataract.

Are you sure your Kindle paperwhite doesn't do audio files. I had a cheap ereader that did audio files and even my cheap basic Nook does audiofiles. If it does then all you need is a router so that you can get wifi.

By the way if your Kindle does do mp3's then I can maybe walk you through the steps of moving any audiofiles that you download to your Kindle.
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Books Aloud   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm

My sis Ka'at had a home delivery service for a number of years. .she is legally blind, before Braille Institute 's BARD system offered digital books.  

You might want to check it out, Sandy , seeing as you have eyesight problems

http://booksaloud.org/

They didn't use to have a website so this is something new; we stopped using their services about 3 years ago and they were using cassette tapes.  They shipped them to you for free and you sent them back for free!

At the time that Ka'at got the service  she had to have a Drs note saying she was legally blind.  I don't know if that has changed, I just decided to go look up their site to post for all.

HTH

"To Qualify examples:

A few examples of our "Reading by Listening" audience include:

A two-year-old child blind at birth

Sisters with retinitis pigmentosa

A teenager with cerebral palsy

Twin boys disabled at birth

A woman confined to her bed with multiple sclerosis

Seniors with cataracts

A man who lost his sight in an airplane accident "

GF
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Nancy, no the Paperwhite definitely does not play mp3's; it does not have audio.   Search for it on Amazon and you will see that it is limited to reading capabilities.  I know that some of the inexpensive Kindles and Nooks do have audio.  However, all I wanted at the time was a device that was backlit for reading in the dark.  I wasn't aware of e-audiobooks, but know now that is something I would really enjoy.

I've been an avid reader all my life, but only recently began reading mysteries - at the urging of a friend.  I picked up 3 Sandford CD audiobooks at the library and couldn't force myself to finish listening to 2 of them.  I haven't read "Silken Prey" and if you didn't like it, I won't bother.  I've also sampled John Grisham's earlier books, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Scott Turow, Jeffrey Deaver and just finished reading "Defending Jacob," by William Landay.  In general, I don't like reading graphic details of senseless murders or getting into the minds of psychopathic killers.  I prefer writers that focus on investigations and trials.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 pm

The 2nd Gen and all other Kindle Fires have the ability to listen to Audiobooks; I had to use a app called Droid Talker in order to hear audiobooks from Gutenberg and  Archive.org using the 1st gen Kindle Fire.

I got Moby Dick, still haven't listened to it ; I have it as mp3 for an mp3 player and for the KF.

Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2008-11-07

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm

TexGirl wrote:
It would be nice to have a Book Club Topic, in which we could discuss and recommend books we are reading.Sandy[/b]

Talk amongst yourself's , then let WyZ or me Know what you want it called and it shall be so ! ( goes for anything ) I thing maybe a sub of around the house ? 3 subs print e and audio ?

Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5512
Registration date : 2008-11-07

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 pm

On the eye front When Suzy found out she had cataracts that is the most viewed topic on this board .

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t364-on-a-serious-noteanyone-have-had-cataracts

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:20 pm

GF, I'm glad to see there are organizations that offer audiobooks for the visually impaired.  What is your sister using now for reading material?  

If you own a portable CD Player, you can check out audiobooks for her at the library.  I visit the library online and put audiobooks on hold.  There are a ton of library branches in this city, so my selections are taken off one of those branche's shelves and sent across town.  I receive an email notification when it arrives at the branch near me and I have 7 days to pick it up.

My eyesight issues should be resolved by this time next year.  In the meantime, I've become rather addicted to audiobooks, so I'll likely buy a KF HD.  I did some research and found that their audio has the best reviews.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
On the eye front When Suzy found out she had cataracts that is the most viewed topic on this board .

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t364-on-a-serious-noteanyone-have-had-cataracts
I just read the thread you posted about Suzy's cataract surgery. I hope she is okay now.  In February, I also posted in Pete's group about my upcoming cataract surgery.  A long thread developed and everyone told me it was a "piece of cake."  However, good results are not 100%.  It seems that both Suzie and I had complications.  

About a Book Club, so far, I'm the only one interested.  I'll contact you if/when others become interested.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 am

Just checking to see if I can post a link:

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t3364p15-free-ebook-finds.

Well, it looks like I can.  cheers  Nancy, it appears that the 7 day waiting period may no longer be applicable, so you may want to check it out.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
TexGirl wrote:
It would be nice to have a Book Club Topic, in which we could discuss and recommend books we are reading.Sandy[/b]
Talk amongst yourself's , then let WyZ or me Know what you want it called and it shall be so ! ( goes for anything ) I thing maybe a sub of around the house ?   3 subs print e and audio ?
Henry I think a "book" forum would suffice for us. We can post about how to find ebooks under a subject line or favorite books under another or whatever. Just having a book forum would be enough that we can post a wide variety of subjects in it.
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Sandy I just tried posting a link and am still getting the can't post one for 7 days which will be next tuesday for me.

Here's the message I get when trying to post a link and the reason you might of been able to is because you posted an internal link.

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm

We're working on the Book Forum; I don't see how to create one , or I would do it now.  I have Moderator access, and I think it can be created only with Admin.

While we wait for Henry , what blurb do you want under the title ?  Let us know, thanks.

Wyz/GF
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:43 pm

GF, I posted about that last night - maybe you missed it.  Please don't start a Book Club topic until, or unless, 2 or 3 other people show an interest.  I just don't want to be a one man/woman show.  Been there; done that.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Sandy, Thanks for your concern, but  there are several readers amongst us; Carl, as some know , wolfs down books faster than they can be printed Very Happy, nquale asked that the new forum be called Book Forum and the reasons why.

I posted the links knowing that there are others out there who are interested/have KFs ( blondie, Qwinntz, ) in ebooks.

One other thing, Sandy, you can probably trade-in your Paperwhite for a 2nd gen KF ( Amazon is accepting trade-ins. ) which has the ability to hear audiobooks; Audible , which isn't free, is one of their companies.

One can buy a Kindle Book and if it has "in-sync" it's usually for a few dollars more . . so that you can read while being read too!

HTH

GF 
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Great!!  So let's do it!!!.  Here is a possible byline for a Book Forum:  "The place for book lovers to share and discuss great books & authors."  

If anyone wants to tinker with that byline, or create another one, that's okay, too.  

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FREE eBook Finds Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds Empty

Back to top Go down

FREE eBook Finds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next