THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  

STAY SKY AWARE

FREE eBook Finds

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TexGirl

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-10-21

FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Nancy, no the Paperwhite definitely does not play mp3's; it does not have audio.   Search for it on Amazon and you will see that it is limited to reading capabilities.  I know that some of the inexpensive Kindles and Nooks do have audio.  However, all I wanted at the time was a device that was backlit for reading in the dark.  I wasn't aware of e-audiobooks, but know now that is something I would really enjoy.

I've been an avid reader all my life, but only recently began reading mysteries - at the urging of a friend.  I picked up 3 Sandford CD audiobooks at the library and couldn't force myself to finish listening to 2 of them.  I haven't read "Silken Prey" and if you didn't like it, I won't bother.  I've also sampled John Grisham's earlier books, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Scott Turow, Jeffrey Deaver and just finished reading "Defending Jacob," by William Landay.  In general, I don't like reading graphic details of senseless murders or getting into the minds of psychopathic killers.  I prefer writers that focus on investigations and trials.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
GFyre

Number of posts : 6970
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:58 pm

The 2nd Gen and all other Kindle Fires have the ability to listen to Audiobooks; I had to use a app called Droid Talker in order to hear audiobooks from Gutenberg and  Archive.org using the 1st gen Kindle Fire.

I got Moby Dick, still haven't listened to it ; I have it as mp3 for an mp3 player and for the KF.

Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin

Number of posts : 5529
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 pm

TexGirl wrote:
It would be nice to have a Book Club Topic, in which we could discuss and recommend books we are reading.Sandy[/b]

Talk amongst yourself's , then let WyZ or me Know what you want it called and it shall be so ! ( goes for anything ) I thing maybe a sub of around the house ? 3 subs print e and audio ?
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5529
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 pm

On the eye front When Suzy found out she had cataracts that is the most viewed topic on this board .

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t364-on-a-serious-noteanyone-have-had-cataracts

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:20 pm

GF, I'm glad to see there are organizations that offer audiobooks for the visually impaired.  What is your sister using now for reading material?  

If you own a portable CD Player, you can check out audiobooks for her at the library.  I visit the library online and put audiobooks on hold.  There are a ton of library branches in this city, so my selections are taken off one of those branche's shelves and sent across town.  I receive an email notification when it arrives at the branch near me and I have 7 days to pick it up.

My eyesight issues should be resolved by this time next year.  In the meantime, I've become rather addicted to audiobooks, so I'll likely buy a KF HD.  I did some research and found that their audio has the best reviews.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
On the eye front When Suzy found out she had cataracts that is the most viewed topic on this board .

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t364-on-a-serious-noteanyone-have-had-cataracts
I just read the thread you posted about Suzy's cataract surgery. I hope she is okay now.  In February, I also posted in Pete's group about my upcoming cataract surgery.  A long thread developed and everyone told me it was a "piece of cake."  However, good results are not 100%.  It seems that both Suzie and I had complications.  

About a Book Club, so far, I'm the only one interested.  I'll contact you if/when others become interested.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 am

Just checking to see if I can post a link:

https://msntvcommunity2.forumotion.com/t3364p15-free-ebook-finds.

Well, it looks like I can.  cheers  Nancy, it appears that the 7 day waiting period may no longer be applicable, so you may want to check it out.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

JUST HENRY wrote:
TexGirl wrote:
It would be nice to have a Book Club Topic, in which we could discuss and recommend books we are reading.Sandy[/b]
Talk amongst yourself's , then let WyZ or me Know what you want it called and it shall be so ! ( goes for anything ) I thing maybe a sub of around the house ?   3 subs print e and audio ?
Henry I think a "book" forum would suffice for us. We can post about how to find ebooks under a subject line or favorite books under another or whatever. Just having a book forum would be enough that we can post a wide variety of subjects in it.
Back to top Go down
nquale

nquale

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-10-22

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Sandy I just tried posting a link and am still getting the can't post one for 7 days which will be next tuesday for me.

Here's the message I get when trying to post a link and the reason you might of been able to is because you posted an internal link.

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm

We're working on the Book Forum; I don't see how to create one , or I would do it now.  I have Moderator access, and I think it can be created only with Admin.

While we wait for Henry , what blurb do you want under the title ?  Let us know, thanks.

Wyz/GF
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:43 pm

GF, I posted about that last night - maybe you missed it.  Please don't start a Book Club topic until, or unless, 2 or 3 other people show an interest.  I just don't want to be a one man/woman show.  Been there; done that.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
GFyre

GFyre

Male

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Sandy, Thanks for your concern, but  there are several readers amongst us; Carl, as some know , wolfs down books faster than they can be printed Very Happy, nquale asked that the new forum be called Book Forum and the reasons why.

I posted the links knowing that there are others out there who are interested/have KFs ( blondie, Qwinntz, ) in ebooks.

One other thing, Sandy, you can probably trade-in your Paperwhite for a 2nd gen KF ( Amazon is accepting trade-ins. ) which has the ability to hear audiobooks; Audible , which isn't free, is one of their companies.

One can buy a Kindle Book and if it has "in-sync" it's usually for a few dollars more . . so that you can read while being read too!

HTH

GF 
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Great!!  So let's do it!!!.  Here is a possible byline for a Book Forum:  "The place for book lovers to share and discuss great books & authors."  

If anyone wants to tinker with that byline, or create another one, that's okay, too.  

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Qwinntz

Qwinntz

Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2013-10-17

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Most Kindle books have "text-to-speech" available, the only problem is the Robotic
sounding female voice has no expression as she reads.
Back to top Go down
TexGirl

TexGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 6:42 am

Qwinntz wrote:
Most Kindle books have "text-to-speech" available, the only problem is the Robotic
sounding female voice has no expression as she reads.

That would be an interesting option - switch from print to audio when my eyes get tired.  But, the deal breaker for me would be the robotic voice with no expression.

Over the past 8 months, I have checked out a lot of CD audiobooks from the library.  Most of the narrators are extremely good readers; quite a few of them are actors. However, the reader for one author, Scott Turow, had a dull, bored, matter of fact voice that was a real turn off.  

He had no expression, might as well have been reciting the alphabet.  I quit listening to 2 novels I might have otherwise enjoyed, solely because of that bad reader.

I noticed in Amazon reviews that special praise is often given to  whoever narrates the audiobook.

Sandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FREE eBook Finds   FREE eBook Finds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FREE eBook Finds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next