THE COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun,Friends, games,trivia, recipes, discussions, news, links, forwards, jokes, and more!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  TRIVIA  

STAY SKY AWARE

Auto Team..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cactus_jack

cactus_jack

Male
Number of posts : 2156
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 8:37 am

This is not criticism, I just thought this was interesting.

WASHINGTON -- The vehicles owned by the Obama administration's auto team could reflect one reason why Detroit's Big Three automakers are in trouble: The list includes few new American cars.

Among the eight members named Friday to the Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry and the 10 senior policy aides who will assist them in their work, two own American models. Add the Treasury Department's special adviser to the task force and the total jumps to three.

The Detroit News reviewed public records to discover what many of the task force and staff members drove, but information was not available on all of the officials, and records for some states were not complete.

At least two task force members don't own a car, and there are still two open slots on the 10-member panel that will be filled by the secretaries of labor and commerce, who have not yet been appointed.

The co-chairs of the task force -- Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner and White House National Economic Council Director Lawrence Summers -- both own foreign automobiles.

Geithner owns a 2008 Acura TSX, registered in New York. He once owned a 1999 Honda Accord and a 2002 Acura MDX, according to public records.

Geithner is the president's designee for purposes of enforcing loan agreements with GM and Chrysler and must approve or reject any proposed transactions by either company that would cost $100 million or more.

His maternal grandfather, Charles Moore, was a vice president at Ford Motor Co. from 1952-63, according to Peter Geithner, the secretary's father. But Geithner wasn't very interested in cars growing up -- in part because he graduated from high school in Asia, his father said.

Summers owns a 1995 Mazda Protege that's registered in Massachusetts. He previously owned a 1996 Ford Taurus GL.

What other task force members drive:

• Office of Management and Budget Director Peter Orszag owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey and a 2004 Volvo S60. He previously owned a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 1982 Datsun.

• Carol Browner, the White House climate czar, said earlier this month at the Washington Auto Show that she doesn't own an automobile. Public records show she once owned a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE.

• Energy Secretary Steven Chu doesn't own a car, his wife, Jean Fetter, said in a telephone interview on Sunday. Cabinet officials are typically transported to and from work by security officials in government vehicles.

• Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson owns a 2008 Toyota Prius and a Honda Odyssey minivan, she said Sunday. "It's great," she said of her Prius.

• Vehicle information was not available for Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood or Christine Romer, head of the Council of Economic Advisers.

Here's what task force policy aides drive:

• Austan Goolsbee, staff director and chief economist for the White House Economic Recovery Advisory Board, owns a 2004 Toyota Highlander.

• Joan DeBoer, the chief of staff to LaHood, said in an interview Sunday she drives a 2008 Lexus RX 350. She doesn't consider herself "a car buff" and views her car as a way to get around town.

• Heather Zichal, deputy director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change, owns a Volvo C30, according to public records and officials.

• Gene Sperling, counsel to the Treasury Secretary, owns a 2003 Lincoln LS, and previously owned a 1993 Saturn SL2.

• Edward B. Montgomery, senior adviser to the Labor Department, owns a 1991 Harley-Davidson and previously owned a 1990 Ford Taurus L station wagon, public records show.

• Lisa Heinzerling, senior climate policy counsel to the head of the EPA, owns a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback station wagon, according to her husband.

• Diana Farrell, the deputy National Economic Council director, doesn't own a vehicle. Her husband, Scott Pearson, owns a 1985 Peugeot 505 S.

• Dan Utech, senior adviser to the Energy Secretary, owns a 2003 Mini Cooper S two-door hatchback.

• Rick Wade, a senior adviser at the Commerce Department, owns a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier and previously owned a 1998 Toyota Corolla.

• Jared Bernstein, Vice President Joe Biden's chief economist, owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey.

The White House declined to comment.

President Barack Obama traded in his Chrysler 300C for a more fuel-efficient Ford Escape hybrid during the 2008 presidential campaign.

Joe Biden, the son of a car dealer, owns a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette -- a wedding present from his dad. He primarily commuted from Delaware to the Senate on Amtrak.

Ron Bloom, a special adviser to the Treasury Department who is also advising the task force, owns an aging Ford Taurus.

Back to top Go down
bigartie

bigartie

Male
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Jack, this is interesting. Perhaps it shows that Americans simply don't have confidence in cars built by the Big 3. I know I don't. My wife and I both drive Toyota sedans (Camry & Corolla) and they have been the most reliable cars we've ever owned. They were both assembled in the U.S. but I know many of the parts were imported.

You've mentioned from time to time how well you've liked both your Prius autos. I've heard that Toyota hybrids are the most reliable made to date. Frankly, I'd be wary of Big 3 hybrids, not because I know anything bad about them but because of my overall experience with their cars.

In California - and perhaps in Arizona, too - there seem to be a lot more foreign name cars on the road than Big 3 autos. Reliability and good gas mileage has got to be some of the reasons that owners prefer these cars. Looking at the lineup of Big 3 offerings, they have nothing that I'd want to buy.

Art
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFS1gngd7o

Just how far the Big 3 has come. An "estimated" 20mpg city in a hybrid. thumbsdown
Back to top Go down
cactus_jack

cactus_jack

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Tiz wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFS1gngd7o

Just how far the Big 3 has come. An "estimated" 20mpg city in a hybrid. thumbsdown

That just shows that the American car companies just don't get it! Why waste a hybrid drive system in a car like the Escalade?

If you can afford a $70,000 car I doubt you care much about how many miles per gallon it gets.

If GM had any brains they would have put the hybrid drive in a smaller car and of course there is Ford who put their hybrid drive system in the Escape instead putting it in a Focus.

Chevrolet keeps hyping the Volt which I doubt will ever be successful and will end up like the EV1.

By the time the Volt actually goes into production, Toyota will have the 4th generation Prius out that will get as good or better economy than the Volt and cost at least a third less.

The American car companies keep touting what they are going to come out with while Toyota and Honda quietly produce them.
Back to top Go down
JUST HENRY
Admin
JUST HENRY

Male
Number of posts : 5533
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm

The age of some of those listed Makes a case for them taking government jobs !

bigartie

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Speaking of the Volt, when I saw a prototype at the Los Angeles Auto Show last year the representatives said that the car is projected to sell in the neighborhood of $35,000 to $40,000. I was shocked. I purchased my new 2007 Camry LE for less than $20,000 and I'm getting about 21 mpg city and 34-36 hwy.

I've never paid more than about 23k for a car and never plan to.

Art
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm

bigartie wrote:
Speaking of the Volt, when I saw a prototype at the Los Angeles Auto Show last year the representatives said that the car is projected to sell in the neighborhood of $35,000 to $40,000. I was shocked. I purchased my new 2007 Camry LE for less than $20,000 and I'm getting about 21 mpg city and 34-36 hwy.

I've never paid more than about 23k for a car and never plan to.

Art

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/chevrolet-volt.html

Looks like Chevrolet still has quite a ways to go.......a 40 mile range? scratch
Back to top Go down
bigartie

bigartie

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 pm

The red car that was being tested in the picture doesn't look anything like the Volt that I saw at the Auto Show. Perhaps it's just testing the engine. The car that was on display was a very sleek and sporty auto.

I tried to navigate some of the clickable links associated with the story but kept getting knocked off - too much Flash? Don't know,

Art
Back to top Go down
Tiz
Admin
Tiz

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 pm

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Volt/

Maybe this is more TV2 friendly. confused
Back to top Go down
bigartie

bigartie

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 am

Yeah, that's more like it. A good looking sleek auto.

Art
Back to top Go down
cactus_jack

cactus_jack

Male

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 7:40 am

The Volt is a joke and is typical GM hype with no beef. It's what GM does.

The Volt is a pure electric drive with a built in generator to recharge the battery. It's just a gasoline powered generator like you can buy at Home Depot.

The Volt doesn't have a transmission or all the necessary drive gear to connect the gas engine to the wheels.
It is basically the EV1 enlarged and with a generator built in and still GM is going to have to price it at at least $40,000. If the Volt actually reaches the retail market it will fail!

Toyota has had been testing a Prius for a couple of years now that has the new battery technology and it gets 114 mpg. The difference is Toyota doesn't go around tooting it's horn, they just produce the product.

Too bad GM can't come up with a car that runs on hot air, because they have plenty of that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Auto Team.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto Team..   Auto Team.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto Team..
Page 1 of 1